Friday, April 22, 2016

Homemade Granola

Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts
Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts

Breakfast is my far my most favourite meal of the day! I could have breakfasty foods for every meal. To be honest there are some days where I have. Having a sweet tooth means that I enjoy the sweeter options, but dont get me wrong I still love a good egg. Although I said I like sweeter options I almost always go for healthier options rather than the sugar loaded cereals or pancakes. So, I have a topping of least 2 pieces of fruit whether it be on porridge, weetabix, pancakes or my of all time favourite - granola and Greek yoghurt. 

Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts

But, and Im sure you have heard it before, most store bought granolas have more sugar than needed. As a result of this I did exchange granola for muesli for a short time, which is still a delicious breakfast but granola just tops it because its crunch. But a few weeks ago, I dont know why the thought had never occurred to me before, I thought Id give a go at making my own.

Id like to say I nicely gathered together a few things I either look for in store bought granola or things I add on top, but it was more like I basically raided the cupboards and threw a bunch of stuff in a bowl. After making it a good few times and tweaking little things, I thought I share my recipe with you. Of course, the ingredients dont have to be strictly followed as you can change things to suit your preferences, for example if you dont like walnuts go for almonds or cashews, if you dont like raisins go for dried cranberries or goji berries.

Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups oats
  • 1 cup walnuts, crushed
  • 1/3 seeds, I had a mixture of sunflower, pumpkin and flax
  • 1 cup of raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 4 tbsp coconut oil

Directions:
Yields around 6-10 servings

1. Preheat your oven to 160°c. Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Melt your coconut oil in a pan or in the microwave. If you are using a microwave, melt it in bursts of 30 seconds. Once it has almost melted add in your honey and return the pan or microwave for another 10-20 seconds.
3. Pour the coconut oil and honey onto your dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into a baking tray or dish and place in the oven for 10-20 minutes, mix the granola at around 7 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and return to the oven if you want it to be crisper. I prefer mine when it is in between muesli and granola, you get the best of both worlds (and the Hannah Montana song just popped into my head).
5. Once it has baked, allow to cool before transferring the mixture to sealed container. It should last for up to 2 weeks.

Print your own recipe card
Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts



Homemade cinnamon granola recipe. With raisins, seeds and nuts

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment