Thursday, April 21, 2016

DIY Multi purpose Notice Board


The other week my mum brought home a pack of 8 chalkboard sheets and I had no clue what we could do with them. At first I began by cutting them into decorative labels to stick on my wallpapered folders, that then led to me cutting one or two sheets simply into squares and sticking them on the inside of the folders - so I had an area to note down homework for that lesson. 

The idea of creating a multi-purpose notice board then popped into my head. Luckily, I didnt have to make any trips to the shops as I already had a small cork board lying around as well as odd bits and bobs to decorate. Im certain I picked up my cork board from a pound shop for, you guessed it, a pound. 


You will need

  • A cork board
  • Chalkboard stickers 
  • Fabric 
  • Hot glue gun
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
*Optional - things to decorate: ribbons, small pegs, hooks


1. Firstly, whilst your hot glue gun is heating up, measure along the inner edges of your cork board. Then divide the length by 2 (this allows you to equally split the notice and chalkboard space).


2. On the back of your chalkboard sticker and fabric, draw out the section to fit on the board and then cut them both out.


 3. Next, grab your hot glue gun and glue along one edge of your fabric and stick it down. Make sure its lined up properly. I burnt myself on the glue whilst doing this so be careful!



4. Once one side is stuck down move onto another until all the edges of the fabric are glued down. By working with just one side at a time it makes it easier to line the edges of the fabric to the cork board edges. As you can tell I accidentally cut my fabric to big length wise, it doesnt really matter although it left me with a slight bump on the chalkboard side.


5. Next, peel the back of the chalkboard sheet and ,like with the fabric, line up and edge at a time then stick down. Make sure you dont have any air bubbles!


 6. Now its time to decorate!



On mine I glued some small craft pegs to the corners so that shopping lists or photos can be pegged onto the board. I also screwed in some hooks so that me and my family are able to hang our keys and lanyards. Then down the centre I glued some ribbon to make the joint of the fabric and chalkboard a tad neater. Lastly, along the top, I glued bits of decorative stuff I found in my craft box



Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment