Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Stewed Rhubarb Porridge

The peace and quiet Ive had every week day for the past 3 weeks has been bliss! Ive been able to get up and drink my tea whilst my brothers are heading out the door for school, then I had the time to spend in the kitchen making a delicious, non rushed breakfast - without anyone getting in the way. 

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

I got the chance to play around with a few different combinations for porridge; along with making delicious smoothie bowls and nice cream. Rhubarb is often a fruit I forget about, I mean I love a good rhubarb crumble, but its not the type of fruit I would nip to the shop specifically to get. But, when I saw it in Lidl the other week I picked some up. 

Of course I made some crumble and I also made my rhubarb samosas, but I ended up with a bit left over so made it into my breakfast one morning. I loved it! I love the tartness of the fruit as its different from having a sweet porridge. But, as rhubarb and strawberries go so well together, I through a few in which helped give it a little sweetness too. And as both fruits are in season at the moment, they taste their absolute best! 

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

On a less exciting note, my brothers have now broken up for summer. Which means I wont be able to every being home alone all day. But it aint going to stop me making delicious breakfasts each morning - because breakfast is just the best! If you havent guessed by now, especially from my instagram (shameless plug), breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

Ingredients  

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water*
  • 1/2 cup non diary milk*
  • 1/2 cup rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
  • A few strawberries
 * more may be needed

Directions

1. Add the rhubarb, water, ginger and sugar to a pan and simmer on a medium heat till the rhubarb has softened,
2. Add in the oats and milk then mix well. Still on a medium heat, allow the porridge to cook - adding in extra milk or water if needed.
3. Stir in chopped strawberries and serve.
 Printable Recipe Card


Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment