Sunday, April 17, 2016

Autumn Conkers Squirrels Porridge

Autumn leaves, chelsea boots, tumblr, spinning jennys , squirrel, bedroom lights fairy laptop candles

Well, summer has well and truly gone for another year and autumn is upon us. That doesnt doesnt bother me as much as it may some people. I mean dont get me wrong theres something in every month I love. Spring is all about freshness and new starts. Summer, bursting with activities. Winter, full of Christmas spirit. But, for me, I think autumn is a special season, not only unlike the other seasons brings about a calming and relaxed sense, but it mashes together the best bits from the other seasons.

Porridge, my staple breakfast for the colder months, gradually making its return. Theres something really comforting, sitting down to a nice bowl of porridge, the way it warms you from the inside and gives you that extra bit in the battle against the colder mornings. 

I always look forward to those particular mornings when I open the door to a cool, refreshing air - that revitalises me. But more so when that air is paired with the appearance of the beautiful wintry sun. You know the one I mean?! The one that we see but we dont feel, the one that even though its lowness blinds us, it instantly brings a smile to our faces, the one that seems to bring all the seasons together.With the added rustle under my feet from piles of fallen leaves scattered on the ground, their vibrant colours almost creating pieces of art - especially when the crisp wind lifts them up and swirls them around.  Those are the mornings I love.

Autumn leaves

The return of acorns, conkers and spinning jennys. I remember in primary school when I my conker collection would sometimes get a little excessive - coming home each day with a few more to soak in vinegar, which I think helps preserve them, then placing them in a shoe box along with the rest. Did anyone else used to sing the song about conkers in primary school? We always had seasonal songs, but this was by far my favourite and I even still sometimes find myself singing it, well the parts I can remember (conkers, Im collecting conkers, Im trying hard to find the biggest and the best!) 

Today on my way to college I noticed the sudden appearance of spinning jennys and I held back the temptation to pick a few up, throw them into the air and watch them as they gracefully fall back to the ground. Again, back to primary school, throwing them over each other, almost like autumn itself is showering us with its beauties.

squirrel

We cant forget the woodland creatures, even though they do seem to be around throughout most of the year, I always associate squirrels, badgers and owls with autumn. Another memory of my childhood pops into my head - Autumnwatch. I used to watch that show religious each night! Following the little animal families, was just too cute. I think the only reason I stopped watching was because the hosts changed (Kate Humble and Bill Oddie ftw!)

Of course though, being British and all, I have my complaints with the weather. Autumn is a season in which risking it without a coat means youll get cold, but then with a coat paired with walking briefly for 5 minutes and you get too hot. But that doesnt bother me half as much as when the heavens decided to open. You end up battling against the harsh wind that lashes rain towards you, the wind that on good days can be so refreshing and gentle. Your hands numbing as they grip onto your umbrella. We cant forget how the leaves create a slippery, deadly path after being soaked by the rain.

But that just makes walking through the door when you arrive home so much more comforting. When your hair finally being able to fall and stay down, popping the kettle on, snuggling into the blanket and turning on your laptop or TV. 



The spring, summer, is quite a hectic time for people in their lives, but then it comes to autumn, and to winter, and you cant but help thing back to the year that was, and then hopefully looking forward to the year that is approaching. - Enya

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment