Saturday, April 2, 2016

DIY Magazine Book Holder


Seeing as I go back to college tomorrow, Ive set myself the goal of becoming more organised. Ive even already bought myself a diary for next year! Not too sure how long it will last though. 

But over the past few weeks Ive gathered together empty cereal boxes to do a DIY I saw on pinterest ,in order to organize my drawers, and as I had a few left over I decided to make something else. Originally, my aim was to join 2 together and make it wide enough to hold all 3 folders, but it turned out the cereal boxes werent long enough. So, I still joined 2 together but instead opted to store books and my diary - my camera also nicely fits in the front too.


You will need :

  • 2 Cereal boxes, of similar height
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Something to cover your work surface
  • Your choice of decoration(s) - paint, decorative paper, ribbon etc


1. First of all, cut down the middle of the back and along the bottom of your box, so you are able to fully open it out.


2. Next cut off all the tabs on the top (the end which the box was opened from when in use).



3. Then cut of 2 strips from the back, so you are left with 2 tabs.



4. Glue the bottom of the box back together.



5. Repeat the steps above to your other box. Next decide how wide you want the holder to be and place a strip of glue along the bottom outer edge of one of the boxes and slip your other box onto it.


6. Then glue down the inner and outer tabs on both sides. (I forgot to do one side which made it a bit difficult to cut neatly in the next step).


7. Next, measure how big you want you front section and cut down to the marked line.


8. You could go ahead and decorate at this point or shape your holder. Personally I chose to give mine a curved edge. 


9. Decorate and your done! 




This is a really easy and simple DIY that can be easily customised to fit the style you want. You could decorate it by painting, decoupage, gluing paper, a whiteboard or chalkboard sticker. I opted for sticking some decorative paper I found in my crafty box, along with some lace ribbon stickers and a small chalkboard sticker. Im surprised I didnt turn to using my trusty option of wallpaper samples!

Hopefully this brings me a step closer to being more organized. Are you an organized person?


Successful organizing is based on the recognition that people get organized because they, too, have a vision. - Paul Wellstone

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment