Sunday, April 17, 2016

Life Is Not A Chore


A while ago I was watching one of my favourite YouTubers vlogs, Cambria (breelovesbeauty), and she mentioned saying I want to or I get to rather than I need to or I have to. That message has been kind of just sat there in my mind for some time and after the many of the clichés that come with the new year, I decided it was time to give it some more thought.

Most people go about their daily lives from task to task saying I need to do this, I need to do that, cant forget Ive got to do the other thing. These phrases make so many things we do seem like a chore; like they are programmed into us. Each morning we all wake up and know there are a set of tasks that are to be accomplished by the end of the day. Many of us follow the same, or at least similar routines, day in day out. Sometimes I feel like I wake up and switch on an auto pilot button and just trudge along throughout the day, slowing making my way through to do lists.

were so busy watching out for whats just ahead of us that we dont take time to enjoy where we are. - Bill Watterson

But lets face it, many of the things that are on the list dont get done. Why? Personally, I procrastinate those tasks, simply because Im telling myself I need to do them. And Ive found that when something needs doing, I have to sometimes force myself to do it. Thats not how things should be done, we shouldnt live our life feeling as if we have to force ourselves to do tasks each day! We are all privileged in one way or another - it could simply be that you have a roof over your head and food on the table, or you could have the opportunity of jetting off to every corner of the world. But we all have one amazing thing in common and that is that we are here, living our own wonderful lives. Why should we waste that making so many daily tasks feel like chores?

As I mentioned in my post about time, time goes fast, clock watching only makes you feel more stressed, its up to us as individuals how we spend our time. So why make ourselves feel like programmed robots - waking up, eating, completing (or at least attempting) tasks and going to bed.

I want to change that for myself. Instead of saying I need to go and do some revision, Ill aim to say I want to go a revise. Why? Because I am fortunate enough to have an education and to have the opportunity to carry my education on even after its compulsory, which I am thankful for. Whereas there are others in the world who may have never had the opportunity to attend just one day of school but would love to learn.

Another example could be I want to run some errands for my grandmas rather than I need... because Im helping out family, its not a chore. Hopefully you get the idea.

If youve changed some statements, in your mind, that apply to you and think they sound a little odd, thats fine, Im thinking the same thing about mine. The main reason for that is probably because we arent use to it. But over time Im hoping that will change, that theyll no longer sound odd. Yes, itll be hard to begin with, but if we dont ever make the first step to changing it, it will never become a habit. You almost have to think about it as if youve training yourself to think about tasks in a different way.

Im not saying that you should apply it to everything you do because, of course, there will be things that youre not going to want to do - like cleaning a toilet. But having a more positive attitude towards the other things will definitely outweigh those negatives. 


This was a post I wrote a while back, in February, as a guest post for Laura over on littlelauras. However, the other week I noticed that I wasnt able to get onto her blog. So after getting in touch with her, she said that she is taking a break from blogging and I asked if I could re upload this post on Nimble Note as Im proud of it and dont want it to go to waste.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment