Saturday, April 16, 2016

Easy and Healthy Dessert Rhubarb Samosas


Rhubarb samosas, ice cream and strawberries

After finishing my tea with my family I thought Id write this blog post as a nice way to end my day. Almost every Sunday without fail, my grandma comes round for tea and we sit down as a family to share a home cooked meal followed by a freshly made dessert. Its really only on Sundays that we have a dessert - so its always got to be something scummy and satisfying. Well my stomach is satisfied!

While drinking my morning cup of tea I was wondering what to make for dessert, of course crumble was the first thing that came to mind but we have that regularly - and I also class it more of a winter time pudding. Then I came across these apple pie samosas and thought of creating rhubarb ones instead (but the apple ones sound mouth-watering too!)

They turned out delicious! You get a nice crisp shell around a warm fruity goodness and when served with ice cream and strawberries mmmmm ( I now want more). Weve had them two weeks in a row now. They are quick to make and a lovely light pudding, so I thought Id share my recipe. 

p.s I didnt get as many pictures as Id hoped to because me and my family just couldnt wait to eat them. 

Rhubarb samosas, ice cream and strawberries

Rhubarb samosas recipe

         Ingredients

                              Yields 6                                                                                 
  • 1 1/4 cup rhubarb, chunked 
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • samosa pastry or filo pastry (you can buy it ready made)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp water
  • flour, for dusting

           Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 180°c

2. Place the rhubarb in a pan with the ginger, sugar and water. Leave to soften on a medium heat. Once the rhubarb has soften, remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.

3. Lightly dust flour over your baking tray and work surface then lay your pastry out on the surface. If your pastry comes in bigger sheets, slice them into about 3" by 10".

4. Place a heaped tablespoon amount of the rhubarb onto one sheet, sprinkle with raisins. Then ,using a pastry brush dipped into the water residue in the pan, gently wet the edges of the pastry. Now fold or roll it up (I cant work with filo pastry very well so I opt to roll carefully) and place straight onto the baking tray.

5. Bake in the oven for about 7-10 minutes or until a light golden brown, make sure to turn them over half away through. Serve fresh from the oven with a nice dollop of ice cream or greek yoghurt (which I am just loving at the moment, cant get enough of it).

*optional - place a cut up strawberry or two on the top, it goes amazingly well with the rhubarb.

Click here to print a recipe card
Rhubarb samosas recipe

Strawberries

Rhubarb samosas, ice cream and strawberries


Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment